Friday, October 10, 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Okay, so it's just trains and automobiles today, but stay tuned and you'll see the planes.

Last week while swimming we met some neighbors in the community. After talking for a while, he mentioned that his hobby is trains and we told him how Porter loved trains so he said we would have to come by sometime and see all his model trains. Yesterday I was outside putting out my Halloween decorations when a cars pulls up in front of the house and someone inside waves at me. I think to myself, Who on earth is that. I don't know anybody here. I climbed down from the step ladder and turn around and the guys from the pool, the one with the trains, walks up the driveway. Bruce and his wife were driving around trying to find were we lived and I just happened to be outside. He said he remembered that we had a boy that loved trains and how he would like for us to come to his house to see his collection, so he gives me his number to call and set up a time to stop by.
Today after school we called Bruce and set up a time to go over after dinner. He took us upstairs which is dedicated to his hobby. The entire 2nd floor is lined with track and trains. He has over 200 trains and more than 100 feet of track. The kids took turns running the trains on the track. We had a lot of fun connecting engines to cars, moving them to different tracks, and learning the hand and horn signals that the engineers use. We really appreciate him sharing his love of trains with us. We had a lot of fun and hope to go back again.

We only derailed the train once because we forgot to switch the line back to the main track.

As for the automobiles...When we were at the garage sale where we bought the table, Tom also bought a Traxxas T-MAXX RC car for $20. This RC car is worth $300-$400. Tom has been working this car for a week. He had to disassemble the whole car to clean it, replace a few parts, and then start to put it back together to make it run. We took it our for a test run to let the kids try it out before we run it with the Grave Digger body on. Check out the video to see the first test run.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, I'm still hitting my sister in law up for some places, and addresses... don't worry, I haven't forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Kelli, it's Summer Driggs here from Summertime Designs. I was just checking out your blog because I liked the photo of your family from when you commented on my blog. (By the way your blog looks cute with the Happy Halloween kit)! As I was reading on your blog I noticed that you live near where I have family. My grandparents are in Bountiful (H. Burke Peterson & Brookie Peterson) and my uncle and aunt live in Fruit Heights (Mark & Jana Staples). I wondered if you knew either of them (I realize Utah is a HUGE state, but I knew that Kaysville borders Fruit Heights so I thought maybe). I also noticed that you visited Queen Creek. My sister lives there. And you went to Glendale which is where my other aunt used to live. Small world!

Anonymous said...

Okay, it's me again. Now I just read that you are MOVING to Queen Creek. You'll have to tell me where so I can see if you'll live close to my sister. I have a cousin there too. My email address is on my Summertime Designs blog.

Sonnet said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

Bean said...

I love your blog! Looks like you guys are having so much fun. I miss you!

Laura said...

yah I bet the neighbors LLLOOOOOVE that toy, thats the loudest!