Today was Porter's official first day of Kindergarten. Last night we laid out his clothes for school and got his back pack ready then he went to bed. This morning he woke up got dressed in his new clothes, ate breakfast, brushed his teeth, and did his hair. He was all ready to start school. When it was time to leave I called the kids to get in the car. Porter decided that he didn't want to go anymore. It took a lot of coaxing to get him in the car. Once he was in the car and we were at the school I couldn't get him out of the car and into the school. I told him that if he went to his class, that when school was out, I will take him to go get a Lunchable. It worked. We were walking to his class but didn't make it in the classroom. Porter was being a stinker and wouldn't go in like all the other little kids. There I was, out in the hallway with a little boy that wouldn't let go of me, and his teacher trying to tell him how much fun he was going to have, but Porter didn't care. He just wanted to go home. I told him that he had to go and that I would be right back to pick him up. His next idea was for me to go to class with him. I told him how I had already gone to Kindergarten and didn't need to go back and that it was his turn to go and how he was a big boy and could do it himself. Still he wouldn't go to class. His teacher asked if she could pick him up and take him in and then I could leave. When she tried to pick him up, he started hitting. I was feeling so embarrassed standing out in the hall with a stubborn little boy that wouldn't leave his mom and the whole kindergarten class watching. His teacher came back again and told me to leave and she would take care of it. With tears welling up in my eyes I turned and walked away with Porter kicking and screaming that he wants his mom. I lost it. I went out to my car and cried. My little boy didn't want to his mom to abandon him. I kept telling myself that he will be fine. I got home and grabbed my phones just in case the school called to say I had to go get him. The phone didn't ring. I showered and cleaned the house just in time to go pick Porter up from school. The doors opened and there was my little boy smiling as big as could be. His teacher said he did just fine after I left. Porter had a great first day of Kindergarten and can't wait to go tomorrow.

8 comments:
I'm glad that Porter had a great day! That would be so hard to leave when your little boy is scared and wants his Mom. I hope that I don't ever have to go threw that!
I am glad the day turned out okay. That is so hard to leave them when they are crying and they want you so bad. What a good mom you are though. Good job Porter!
That story made me want to cry too. I am sure I will be the same way, or Mom will be since she watched Olivia for me.
I havnt had any kids crying for me. But I do remember crying just because it was change and leaving them for the first time. Stressful!! Im glad he likes it now!
I'm with you... I think it would be hard to leave that.. but i'm glad he had fun.. that's such a big change, kindof scary.
School is wrong kids shouldn't have to leave their moms that young. School is a relatively recent societal development and it stinks. If I had it my way there would be no school except home school. But at least Porter enjoys it now.
By the way this is Cam speaking don't want Tara getting mad at me for being her.
Wow sounds like how it is when I would drop my kids off at nursery. They always do good when the parent leaves. I have a feeling that Ben may be the same way...changing his mind about going when we get there. Ahhhhh! How do you do it? I almost cried when you said you lost it & cried! It is so hard to be a parent!
Post a Comment