Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Few Days in Arizona

The past few days of unpacking has been tiring and HOT! We decided to take a break from packing and go for a swim. We found a pool nearby and cool off. There were no other neighbors in the pool which made for a nice, peaceful and private day at the pool. We figured it was empty because all the kids were in school until I went to enroll the kids yesterday and found out that the school in on fall break for TWO WEEKS. That means that my kids have another week off from school. UGH! I guess that means more time at the pool.

Yesterday we drove into Phoenix, which is about 45 minutes from where we live, to figure out where things and to sight see a little. Tom lived in Arizona when he was about 6 so since we were in the area we figured we would drive to Glendale and see his old house and school. The picture below is his old house. He said that everything seemed so much smaller than he remembered them. The house was smaller, the streets didn't feel as long, and school is not as big either. He stopped at a house at the end of the street where his friends lived. He knocked on the door to see if they still lived there and they did. The lady still remembered him from way back when.

Our next stop was at the NFL stadium for the Arizona Cardinals. We are hoping to be able to go to a game sometime soon since I am a huge fan of football, but we will be cheering for the other team since we aren't Cardinals fans. We had a fun outing in the city and we are looking forward to going back and seeing more of what Phoenix has to offer.

4 comments:

Sonnet said...

Ah memory lane. I felt the same with my old neighborhoods when I was there last. Its smaller than I remember. Although Phoenix has grown. If youre really bored I can give you my old house and high school address. hehe Dont forget they have lights at the temple during christmas & a pageant.

Anonymous said...

I have a sister in law that lives in Higley. There is this place in Phoenix we just went to last month called the soda pop shop. I'll ask her for the address..... they have EVERY kind of soda imaginable, even the old old ones, and everyone in between. Like 50 different kinds of root beer.... so good, and they are all in bottles. I'll get the address, that was fun. She is a colorist. So if you ever need your hair done by someone who REALLY knows her stuff and does a GREAT job... Let me know.

Laura said...

OH the old house....I loved that house...I have always wanted a floor plan like the one we had there and the pool wasnt too bad either..
Hey speaking of...guess who just found me on facebook yesterday..HEATHER HAMBLIN!! She has a new last name and four kids now...it has bee nice to reconnect with her!
Glad to hear that you are doing so well there...sounds like life is really good, I am happy for you! Kiss the kids for me!

birdeeb said...

That's fun! I know how that is to feel like things are a lot smaller than they used to be...well ok maybe just a bit smaller LOL (cause I am so short...haha anyways...;o))...And Facebook right now is amazing to me cause I am finding people I knew when they were toddlers in my ward in Great Falls MT! And people from Jr High! I actually remembered an old neighbor friend's dog's name!! I was shocked cause I don't even remember if I ate sometimes...LOL. Anyway that sounds like a great trip ;o)