Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Lesson Learned

This morning started out with nothing but fighting between Tayler and Porter. It never seems to stop. While I was cleaning the kitchen I hear Tayler crying because Porter is kicking her. I walk into the room to see what is going on and sure enough there they are, on the floor, Porter kicking Tayler. Now I am thinking to myself...if I were Tayler, I would get up and walk away so that I wouldn't get kicked anymore by my little brother, but no, there she lay acting helpless as her brother kicks her. I intervene and separate the two and tell Porter it's not nice to kick and tell Tayler not to lay there and take it.

I tell them to go find something else to do where they can get along. They move on to the computer to play games. Tayler is on the computer in the office and Porter gets on the laptop. Tom woke up and needed the computer so he took the laptop from Porter. I told Porter that he can take turns with Tayler on the other computer and I would put the timer on for 5 minutes and then it would be his turn. When the 5 minutes was up Porter took his turn and the timer started for Tayler. When it came time for Tayler to take over Porter would not give up the computer so the fighting began yet again. I become the mean mom and take away all computer privileges and tell them to go sit quietly and watch a movie on separate couches.

After my peaceful shower, I walk down the stairs to hear the microwave timer going off and Porter telling Tayler that the time is up and it is his turn to draw on the Magna-Doodle. She hands it over and runs into the kitchen to start the timer for her. I stood there in awe...my kids had learned how to take turns and not fight!!! Wahooo!! Lesson learned...for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hay I'm with you, at least they learned for now. It'll stick more and more.... plus that's what siblings are for.... beating on right???

Sonnet said...

Oh yes sounds like my house!!

The Rives said...

Not such a mean mom after all. Way to teach them a great lesson.

birdeeb said...

That is so great! haha I worry for the day I have to put up with the fighting...right now all I have to put up with is Milly's screams! ahhhhhhhh! I am working now...you can check my blog for updates. I put a lot of posts up from another website I write on haha ;o) So they are all posted on the same day on here. Anywho. TTYL